Vol. XXII • Issue 15 • November 15, 2019 •
Message From The Principal
Dear ELC & LS Parents,
Christmas for our friends in Binan will be good this year! Thank you everyone for participating in and donating towards the Binan Charity Fun Run this past Wednesday afternoon. Our ELC and LS students had a lot of fun playing in the Rainbow Splash area while the other students did their laps around the track.
We now have a final amount our fifth grade students have profited from the Grade 5 Market Day sales last week. Thank you again for your support as we are donating a total of Php 128,113.40 to the Center of Hope.
After school clubs are ending on Thursday, November 21. Please make necessary changes in pick up times starting the week of November 25. If your child is a car rider, please make sure your child is picked up right after class (2:25 p.m. for the ELC and 2:35 p.m. for the LS). If your child is a bus rider, please make sure someone receives your child earlier. Kindly note that students shouldn’t be staying in and hanging around school after class hours.
How should parents talk to their children about keeping their bodies healthy and safe? Find out more from our Guidance Counselors, Mrs. Maranan and Miss Gamboa, during our second Coffee Talk. Please know that this talk has been moved to November 29 (Friday) from 9:15-10:30 a.m. in the LS Library.
Booklatan 2019 is happening on November 25 (ELC) and 27 (LS). This Media Center Department sponsored event aims to expose our students to wonderful Filipino artists and talents. Featuring Mr. Rhandee Garlitos for the ELC and Mr. Jaime Bautista for the LS, their books will be up for sale when they come for their visit.
Finally, tickets for the Grades 3-5 Christmas Production (only), “I Wish You Jesus”, will be available for sale starting Monday, November 18, at the Spirit Shop. Seats for the shows are numbered so please get your tickets early. Ticket prices for the Lower School Christmas Productions are as follows:
- General Admission – Php 150.00
- Rows D-L Center Section – Php 200.00
The dates and times of the shows for both the LS and ELC Christmas Productions are:
|Christmas Production||Starring Grade Levels||Dates & Times|
|I Wish You, Jesus!||Grades 3-5 Students||December 5, 2019
10 AM & 1PM
|Christmas Hang-Ups||Nursery to Grade 2||December 12, 2019
|December 13, 2019
|21||Last Day of Clubs|
|25 - 27||Booklatan 2019|
|29||PTA Coffee talk: “How to Keep Your Body Healthy & Safe|
|5||LS Christmas Production
(10AM & 1PM)
|12||ELC Christmas Production
|13||ELC Christmas Production
|20||Last day of School for
the 1st Semester
Announcement from Admissions
New students for the 2020-2021 school year are considered for all grade levels as of November 2019. Apply online through the Admissions tab of Brent’s website, or contact the Admissions Office for more information.
News and Notes
• Classroom/Cafeteria Parties. Birthday parties of any type are NOT ALLOWED in classrooms nor in the Cafeteria.
Parties that are acceptable throughout the year, and in general, should only include Christmas and end of the school year parties.
If a student wishes to distribute invitations for a private party they must be given to all students in the class or to none at all. If they wish to only invite select students/part of the class the invitations must be distributed in another manner or mailed to the invitees. Addresses and phone numbers of students in a particular homeroom class may be obtained via the homeroom contact information sheet and for other classes by the student recording them from friends during recess time. Due to personal privacy the school is unable to release this information without permission from parents.
- Birthdays are recognized in class and during Chapel.
- Handing out of tokens or ‘goodie bags’ to classmates is allowed butthey need to be reasonably minimal, mostly composed of pens/pencils, erasers, stickers, etc. Food in ‘goodie bags’ are discouraged as we have a number of students with severe allergies to various food items/ingredients.
- Bringing in of cupcakes (at the most, and not whole cakes that will have to be sliced and served) to share with classmates is permissible. Again, please be aware of food allergies.
- For the ELC, parents of children this young often want to have a blowing of candles as part of their memento of their child’s birthday. Bringing in of a small cake with candles for the sake of candle blowing will be allowed however, this cake is not to be consumed in school and therefore will have to be brought back home.
- No other food is to be bought at (such as pizza) or brought to school to celebrate a student’s birthday. Parents, yayas or drivers will be told to bring them back home. If this is refused, the food will not be served in the classroom but instead will be placed in the Faculty Lounge for teachers to share.
• Please be sure to send a healthy snack daily for your child’s afternoon recess break. We strongly discourage the drinking of soda in the Lower School. ID Account deposits will not be accepted in the school offices. Please send your deposits to the Main Cafeteria or Cashier.
• Brent International School requires all parents/visitors to sign in and get a visitor’s ID card. Permanent ID cards are available for all parents through the Security Office in the Administration building. When displaying a permanent ID card, parents are no longer required to get a visitor ID card each visit.
• Transportation. For Bus Services/Concerns you can contact the Transportation Office at (049) 511-4354 or Trunk Line (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 8779-5140 to 46 ext. 518. Any Transportation concerns after 4:30 pm, please call the Ms. Zusie Bico at 0918-912-4230.
• Books, Bags and Belongings. All unattended bags will be collected by our Security Personnel and taken to the Security Office. Students will personally have to show their Brent School I.D. to retrieve their bag. It is highly recommended, therefore, that student names be placed on all bags for easy identification.
All students in Grades 6 to 10 have two private lockers in which to leave their belongings – their book locker and their P.E. locker. Students in Grades 11 and 12 may get a second locker – in the Gym 1 or P.E. locker rooms, or in the S210 hallway – to store any additional athletic gear or other items. Lower School students going to swimming or another athletic activity after school may check their bags with the Security Guard in the P.E. Offices hallway.
All bags left unattended between classes and after school in places like the atrium, the cafeteria, the Activities Office, the Media Center, inside or outside of the gyms, the tables by the swimming pool, and in the P.E. Offices hallway will be collected and taken to the Security Office.
• Student Attendance. Attendance is checked at the beginning of each day. If you know that your child will not be in school, please call the ELC (Verna) at (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 8779-5140 to 46 ext. 711 or Lower School (Abby) at ext. 111 by 9:00 A.M. We view absences as “explained” or “unexplained,” so please send in a note/excuse letter ahead of time for planned student absences, going out of town, etc., for consideration/approval.
Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. Mondays to Fridays except Thursdays at 8:40 a.m. are considered tardy and should not be permitted in to class without a pass from the ELC/Lower School Office. Exceptions are made for late buses and heavy traffic days (accidents/out of the ordinary) on the south super highway, etc.
Please note that five or more tardiness per semester will eliminate a student for consideration of the Annual Perfect Attendance Award.
• Student Pass. If your children are leaving early, before the end of the school day, a parent/guardian must come by the school office to sign them out and secure a student pass. Also any changes to your child’s dismissal pattern (going home with a friend, car instead of bus, etc.) must be submitted in writing (with parent signature) at least one day prior to the change. The homeroom teacher and bus coordinator (if they ride) need to be informed. This is for children’s safety and security. We appreciate your assistance in knowing their whereabouts during dismissal and mode of transport home.
• Cellular Phones, Electronics, and Other Valuables. Parents and guardians are requested to help make sure that students do not bring valuables to school such as cellular phones, electronic devices, large amount of cash, and expensive jewelry. When the children are swimming or involved in sports, remember that all jewelry and watches are removed for safety purposes. Students are not allowed to wear valuables on sporting/P.E. days. These items are very difficult to find once they have gone missing and there is no need for them in the ELC and Lower School.
• Office Telephone Use. The office telephone may only be used for an emergency. Students may not use the telephone to request materials, P.E. clothes, etc., left at home; ask permission to go home with a friend, change their usual dismissal pattern, or requesting to stay in school. We do not provide after-school supervision. All ELC and LS students are expected to leave at 3:00 pm unless participating in an after-school activity or remedial. Students in either of these activities are to be picked up or leave on the 3:50 pm bus.
• Temporary Change in Contact Information. For general information as well as security, medical and legal reasons, we ask for your support in completing our Temporary Contact Information form if travels require you temporarily leave a student in the care of another individual. Copies of the form are currently available in each of the school offices and can be downloaded from our website. We ask that you please submit the completed form to your child’s school office before your travels take place.
• Lost and Found. All lost items left unattended, will be turned in initially to the ELC/LS Office before being transferred to the main Lost and Found area in the Security Office. Students are asked to report missing items to the ELC/LS Office and complete a short report so that we might manage all lost or missing items. At the end of each semester (Christmas Break and End of School Year), unclaimed items will be donated to charity. Please make sure to follow-up if your child loses something in school.