Vol. XXII • Issue 21 • January 24, 2020 •
Message From The Principal
Dear ELC & LS Parents,
Welcome back to school! It is so great to see your children so ready and excited about being in school after the break and the weeklong cancelation. We truly appreciate all the work our custodians, security and staff have done in getting our school ready for Monday’s start.
Report Cards were sent home this week. Kindly make sure to send back the delivery receipt that was attached to your child’s report if you have not done so. If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s performance this past term, please do not hesitate to set an appointment with your child’s teacher to discuss his/her progress and how to support him/her better moving forward.
Contrary to what was previously announced, we are postponing our House Soccer Day that is supposed to be held on Tuesday, January 28, to a later date. This would give us more time to organize this much awaited event. Information on House Soccer Day will be shared closer to the set date.
To our fourth and fifth grade parents, information about the upcoming Grade 4 and Grade 5 Camps were shared with you this week, including the permission slips. Please make sure to go through the information thoroughly and return any necessary forms on time.
Finally, it is Chinese New Year tomorrow… Xin Nian Kuai Le! Have a wonderful weekend!
|30-31||Head Lice Check|
Scholastic Book Fair
|6-7||House Spelling Bee
|10||Start of Clubs|
News and Notes
• Classroom/Cafeteria Parties. Birthday parties of any type are NOT ALLOWED in classrooms nor in the Cafeteria.
Parties that are acceptable throughout the year, and in general, should only include Christmas and end of the school year parties.
If a student wishes to distribute invitations for a private party they must be given to all students in the class or to none at all. If they wish to only invite select students/part of the class the invitations must be distributed in another manner or mailed to the invitees. Addresses and phone numbers of students in a particular homeroom class may be obtained via the homeroom contact information sheet and for other classes by the student recording them from friends during recess time. Due to personal privacy the school is unable to release this information without permission from parents.
- Birthdays are recognized in class and during Chapel.
- Handing out of tokens or ‘goodie bags’ to classmates is allowed butthey need to be reasonably minimal, mostly composed of pens/pencils, erasers, stickers, etc. Food in ‘goodie bags’ are discouraged as we have a number of students with severe allergies to various food items/ingredients.
- Bringing in of cupcakes (at the most, and not whole cakes that will have to be sliced and served) to share with classmates is permissible. Again, please be aware of food allergies.
- For the ELC, parents of children this young often want to have a blowing of candles as part of their memento of their child’s birthday. Bringing in of a small cake with candles for the sake of candle blowing will be allowed however, this cake is not to be consumed in school and therefore will have to be brought back home.
- No other food is to be bought at (such as pizza) or brought to school to celebrate a student’s birthday. Parents, yayas or drivers will be told to bring them back home. If this is refused, the food will not be served in the classroom but instead will be placed in the Faculty Lounge for teachers to share.
• Please be sure to send a healthy snack daily for your child’s afternoon recess break. We strongly discourage the drinking of soda in the Lower School. ID Account deposits will not be accepted in the school offices. Please send your deposits to the Main Cafeteria or Cashier.
• Brent International School requires all parents/visitors to sign in and get a visitor’s ID card. Permanent ID cards are available for all parents through the Security Office in the Administration building. When displaying a permanent ID card, parents are no longer required to get a visitor ID card each visit.
• Transportation. For Bus Services/Concerns you can contact the Transportation Office at (049) 511-4354 or Trunk Line (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 8779-5140 to 46 ext. 518. Any Transportation concerns after 4:30 pm, please call the Ms. Zusie Bico at 0918-912-4230.
• Books, Bags and Belongings. All unattended bags will be collected by our Security Personnel and taken to the Security Office. Students will personally have to show their Brent School I.D. to retrieve their bag. It is highly recommended, therefore, that student names be placed on all bags for easy identification.
All students in Grades 6 to 10 have two private lockers in which to leave their belongings – their book locker and their P.E. locker. Students in Grades 11 and 12 may get a second locker – in the Gym 1 or P.E. locker rooms, or in the S210 hallway – to store any additional athletic gear or other items. Lower School students going to swimming or another athletic activity after school may check their bags with the Security Guard in the P.E. Offices hallway.
All bags left unattended between classes and after school in places like the atrium, the cafeteria, the Activities Office, the Media Center, inside or outside of the gyms, the tables by the swimming pool, and in the P.E. Offices hallway will be collected and taken to the Security Office.
• Student Attendance. Attendance is checked at the beginning of each day. If you know that your child will not be in school, please call the ELC (Verna) at (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 8779-5140 to 46 ext. 711 or Lower School (Abby) at ext. 111 by 9:00 A.M. We view absences as “explained” or “unexplained,” so please send in a note/excuse letter ahead of time for planned student absences, going out of town, etc., for consideration/approval.
Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. Mondays to Fridays except Thursdays at 8:40 a.m. are considered tardy and should not be permitted in to class without a pass from the ELC/Lower School Office. Exceptions are made for late buses and heavy traffic days (accidents/out of the ordinary) on the south super highway, etc.
Please note that five or more tardiness per semester will eliminate a student for consideration of the Annual Perfect Attendance Award.
• Student Pass. If your children are leaving early, before the end of the school day, a parent/guardian must come by the school office to sign them out and secure a student pass. Also any changes to your child’s dismissal pattern (going home with a friend, car instead of bus, etc.) must be submitted in writing (with parent signature) at least one day prior to the change. The homeroom teacher and bus coordinator (if they ride) need to be informed. This is for children’s safety and security. We appreciate your assistance in knowing their whereabouts during dismissal and mode of transport home.
• Cellular Phones, Electronics, and Other Valuables. Parents and guardians are requested to help make sure that students do not bring valuables to school such as cellular phones, electronic devices, large amount of cash, and expensive jewelry. When the children are swimming or involved in sports, remember that all jewelry and watches are removed for safety purposes. Students are not allowed to wear valuables on sporting/P.E. days. These items are very difficult to find once they have gone missing and there is no need for them in the ELC and Lower School.
• Office Telephone Use. The office telephone may only be used for an emergency. Students may not use the telephone to request materials, P.E. clothes, etc., left at home; ask permission to go home with a friend, change their usual dismissal pattern, or requesting to stay in school. We do not provide after-school supervision. All ELC and LS students are expected to leave at 3:00 pm unless participating in an after-school activity or remedial. Students in either of these activities are to be picked up or leave on the 3:50 pm bus.
• Temporary Change in Contact Information. For general information as well as security, medical and legal reasons, we ask for your support in completing our Temporary Contact Information form if travels require you temporarily leave a student in the care of another individual. Copies of the form are currently available in each of the school offices and can be downloaded from our website. We ask that you please submit the completed form to your child’s school office before your travels take place.
• Lost and Found. All lost items left unattended, will be turned in initially to the ELC/LS Office before being transferred to the main Lost and Found area in the Security Office. Students are asked to report missing items to the ELC/LS Office and complete a short report so that we might manage all lost or missing items. At the end of each semester (Christmas Break and End of School Year), unclaimed items will be donated to charity. Please make sure to follow-up if your child loses something in school.