Vol. XXI • Issue 31 • April 12, 2019
- COLLEGE VISIT
- NEWS FROM THE ACTIVITIES OFFICE
- IB CALENDAR OF DEADLINES
- NEW!! IMPORTANT SENIOR DATES IN APRIL & MAY
- NEW!! SEMESTER EXAM SCHEDULE
- NEW!! MAP TESTING BEGINS ON MONDAY, APRIL 22
- NEW!! THE ANNUAL FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS WEEK
- NEW!! AMERICAN MUSICAL AND DRAMATIC ACADEMY VISITS THURSDAY, APRIL 25
- UPDATED IB MOCK EXAMS
- EASTER BREAK APRIL 15 – APRIL 19
- RESERVATIONS AND RE-ENROLLMENT FORM
- COUNSELOR COFFEE TALKS
- SAT TEST DATES
- CLOSING OF SCHOOL – CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
Throughout the year various universities that give presentations about their school and the university admissions process in general visit us. Juniors and Seniors as well as their parents may be interested in attending the following presentations.
NEWS FROM THE ACTIVITIES OFFICE
IB CALENDAR OF DEADLINES
All deadlines for the various IB projects, orals, research papers, EE, etc. are noted below. Parents please help our students stay organized with their IB assignments and due dates throughout the upcoming year.
NEW!! IMPORTANT SENIOR DATES IN APRIL & MAY
NEW!! SEMESTER EXAM SCHEDULE
NEW!! MAP TESTING BEGINS ON MONDAY, APRIL 22
Testing begins on Monday, April 22 through Wednesday, May 8. Our grade 9 and 10 students will be taking the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) tests. The tested subjects are in English Language, Mathematics and Reading Comprehension.
NEW!! THE ANNUAL FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS WEEK
The end of the school year is filled with opportunities for all of us to enjoy the many talents of our fine and performing arts students. Come enjoy exhibits and performances by our bands, choirs, dance troupe, piano and strings players as well as our visual arts students. Please take note of the following exciting events:
- Wednesday, April 24
- MS/US Ribbon Cutting and Art exhibit in the Visual and Performing Arts hallway at 9:30 a.m.
- Spring Concert in Gym 1 at 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 25 – Choir Recital in the Theater at 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 26 – Solo & Ensemble Recital in the Theater at 2:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 29 – Orchestra Recital in the Theater @ 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 30
- Recorder Recital in the Theater @ 9:30 a.m.
- Contemporary Dance Recital in the Theater at 4:00 p.m.
We hope you will take the time to enjoy all of these exciting performances and understand for yourselves just how healthy and vibrant are the visual and performing arts here at Brent International School Manila!
NEW!! AMERICAN MUSICAL AND DRAMATIC ACADEMY VISITS THURSDAY, APRIL 25
AMDA (American Musical and Dramatic Academy) is coming back for a visit on Thursday, April 25th from 7:20am – 8:40am in U101 and Professor Neka Zang will be conducting the workshop this time. Click here to reference her bio. Any interested student is encouraged to attend, however, students will need to arrange their own transport to arrive at school for a 7:20 Thursday morning start time.
Students must sign up in the Upper School Guidance office to attend.
NEW!! IB MANDATORY EXAM SESSION FOR IBDP SENIORS ON MONDAY, APRIL 8
All Grade 12 IB diploma candidates must attend the IB Conduct Of Examinations orientation on Monday, 8 April, at 2:35 PM at the main library of the Media Center. Please bring your laptop.
UPDATED IB MOCK EXAMS
EASTER BREAK APRIL 15 – APRIL 19
We wish everyone a blessed, safe and happy Holy Week. May it be a time of rest, family, fellowship and reflection. When we return on Monday, April 22 it will be a Day 1 and MAP testing begins for grades 9 and 10. Friday, May 3 IBDP Seniors start their IB exams and Student Council campaigns begin, with elections to be held right before our reviews and Final Exams. Enjoy your break; the last weeks of the school year will be very busy.
RESERVATIONS AND RE-ENROLLMENT FORM
By April 22, 2019: Reserve a slot for the 2019-2020 school year, or withdraw
The Reservation and Re-Enrollment Form has been sent home with report cards. Please submit the form to Brent’s Cashier, and pay the fee, by April 22, 2019. This ensures that your child has a slot for the 2019-2020 school year, and that we can clearly communicate to inquiring families how many slots are available for new students.
A 100% refund of the Reservation Fee is available until June 14, 2019. If you are unsure of your plans for the 2019-2020 school year, pay the fee by the April 22, 2019 deadline to reserve the slot and then contact Brent’s Accounting Office for a refund at a later date, if needed.
If your child will not return in August, please visit the Registrar’s Office by April 22 to complete the withdrawal paperwork. We’re sorry to see you go, and wish you the best of luck!
The Cashier has extra Reservation and Re-Enrollment forms. It can be printed from the website in the “About” section, too.
Thank you for making an effort to meet the April 22 deadline to reserve or withdraw. It is important, and appreciated.
(This does not apply to current students in Brent’s Grade 12, or to students applying to Brent.)
COUNSELOR COFFEE TALKS
SAT TEST DATES
- Brent students must register through College Board’s website. Offices at Brent do not assist students with registering for SAT dates.
- Slots for testing at Brent are usually full WEEKS before the published Deadline to Register below. Register earlier than you think you need to.
- SAT at Brent is open to our enrolled students, but also to students from other schools. There are enough slots for Brent students if you register early.
- If slots are already full at Brent for a specific SAT date, on College Board’s website look for other schools offering SAT and then register at one that has available slots. If all other schools are also full, register for the next available SAT date at Brent. Let your Guidance Counselor know if these suggestions do not work for you.
CLOSING OF SCHOOL – CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
Brent International School Manila adheres to the Storm Signal Guidelines established by PAGASA – (the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration). Accordingly, when storm signals are posted over Biñan, Laguna, classes will be affected as follows:
- Storm Signal #1 Normal Operation: All Brent classes will proceed as scheduled.
- Storm Signal #2 No Classes or Activities:No students or teachers are to report, however the school offices will remain open for the day. Administrators and office support staff report as usual if it is safe to do so.
- Storm Signal #3 and #4 No School: The entire school operation will be closed. No classes, offices or activities will take place.
Please be aware that the storm signal for Laguna is not the same as that of Metro Manila. Weather reports regarding Manila, therefore, may not apply to the conditions at Brent.
Every attempt will be made to contact parents, students and teachers in the event of a cancellation of classes. When available and applicable, we use corporate texts to inform those whose cell phone numbers are registered in our system. If you have not heard from the school, you can assume that classes will happen as scheduled.
If you are still unsure, calling the school at +63-2-697-9043 or +63-49-511-4330 to 33 after 6:00 a.m. or checking to see if there is a notice on our website (www.brent.edu.ph) may help.
Finally, we realize that parents have the ultimate responsibility for determining whether or not their children go to school. Even if no order for the suspension of classes has been issued, if parents feel that traveling to or from school will place their children at risk, we certainly understand and will honor their decision.