Vol. XXII • Issue 14 • November 15, 2019
- COLLEGE VISITS
- NEWS FROM THE ACTIVITIES OFFICE
- IB CALENDAR OF DEADLINES FOR 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
- NEW!! APAC CHORAL FESTIVAL THIS SATURDAY @ 5:00 PM
- NEW!! CHRISTMAS CONCERT
- FINAL EXAMS SCHEDULE
- ELEMENTAL, AN ILLUSTRATED POETRY BOOK BY MACKENZIE AND KATYA
- NEW STUDENTS FOR THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
- SAT TEST DATES
- CLOSING OF SCHOOL – CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
- COMMUNICATING WITH HOME
Throughout the year various universities that give presentations about their school and the university admissions process in general visit us. Juniors and Seniors as well as their parents may be interested in attending the following presentations.
NEWS FROM THE ACTIVITIES OFFICE
IB CALENDAR OF DEADLINES FOR 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
All deadlines for the various IB projects, orals, research papers, EE, etc. are noted below. Parents please help our students stay organized with their IB assignments and due dates throughout the upcoming year.
NEW!! APAC CHORAL FESTIVAL THIS SATURDAY @ 5:00 PM
Join us in the theater this Saturday, November 16, for the APAC Choral Festival. The festival will include the singing sensations from six APAC choir programs.
Come out and show your support!
NEW!! CHRISTMAS CONCERT
On Monday morning, December 9, we are proud to present the Eighteenth Annual Art Exhibition. It will officially open at 9:30 a.m. in the Atrium with the band and string ensemble performing alongside our Ribbon Cutting. The following Tuesday evening, December 10, we are proud to present the Annual Christmas Concert featuring our Upper and Middle School students. Interested parents and students can come to the concert early and carefully view all of the pieces in the hallways surrounding the art rooms. The concert will start at 5:00 p.m. in Gym 1. All of our bands, our string orchestra, choirs and music classes will be participating in this musical extravaganza. Please save the evening and plan on attending, it promises to be some great Christmas cheer!
FINAL EXAMS SCHEDULE
ELEMENTAL, AN ILLUSTRATED POETRY BOOK BY MACKENZIE AND KATYA
You can now preorder Elemental, an illustrated poetry book by seniors Mackenzie Atkins (author) and Katya Reichert (illustrator). The proceeds will sponsor a year of tuition at Mano Amiga for a child from a low-income household.
See an excerpt from the book here!
Quick preorder form:
Learn more about Mano Amiga:
Preorder price: P250
Regular price: P300
All pre-orders must be placed and paid by November 30, 2019.
STUDENTS FOR THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
New students for the 2020-2021 school year are considered for all grade levels as of November 2019. Apply online through the Admissions tab of Brent’s website, or contact the Admissions Office for more information.
SAT TEST DATES
- Students register for the SAT through collegeboard.org
- The SAT can be full weeks before the Deadline to Register since it is open to students from other schools, too. Register earlier than you think you need to.
- If slots are already full at Brent for SAT and you are put on Wait List status, call College Board’s Customer Service number: 001-212-713-7789. There have been a few cases when a student was put on Wait List status but space was actually available. Call to check if there is a scheduling error. If it’s not an error and SAT is full, let College Board know you would like to be informed if space opens.
- You must bring your printed Admission Ticket with you on the test day, along with a photo ID. Be sure your legal name is on your Admission Ticket, and that it matches the ID you will present on the day of testing. If your ticket and ID do not match, you will not be allowed to take the SAT. As a testing center, we must enforce this requirement, even if the SAT supervisor and proctor know you.
- It is ideal to leave your devices at home. As per College Board: “If your device makes noise or you are seen using it at any time before testing is complete, including during breaks, it is grounds for immediate dismissal and score cancellation.”
- Read the Test Day Checklist for more details. Check your email for any new updates from College Board about your test day.
- If you think a diagnosed special need might qualify you for accommodations like extra time on the SAT, read the Students With Disabilities information and start the process early.
CLOSING OF SCHOOL – CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
Brent International School Manila adheres to the Storm Signal Guidelines established by PAGASA – (the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration). Accordingly, when storm signals are posted over Biñan, Laguna, classes will be affected as follows:
• Storm Signal #1 Normal Operation: All Brent classes will proceed as scheduled.
• Storm Signal #2 No Classes or Activities: No students or teachers are to report, however the school offices will remain open for the day. Administrators and office support staff report as usual if it is safe to do so.
• Storm Signal #3 and #4 No School: The entire school operation will be closed. No classes, offices or activities will take place.
Please be aware that the storm signal for Laguna is not the same as that of Metro Manila. Weather reports regarding Manila, therefore, may not apply to the conditions at Brent.
Every attempt will be made to contact parents, students and teachers in the event of a cancellation of classes. When available and applicable, we use corporate texts to inform those whose cell phone numbers are registered in our system. If you have not heard from the school, you can assume that classes will happen as scheduled.
If you are still unsure, calling the school at +63-2-697-9043 or +63-49-511-4330 to 33 after 6:00 a.m. or checking to see if there is a notice on our website (www.brent.edu.ph) may help.
Finally, we realize that parents have the ultimate responsibility for determining whether or not their children go to school. Even if no order for the suspension of classes has been issued, if parents feel that traveling to or from school will place their children at risk, we certainly understand and will honor their decision.
COMMUNICATING WITH HOME
If there is anything else we in the Upper School can do to help you better understand our school, please feel to call us or stop by the Upper School Office. We thank you all for your continued support of the people and the programs in our Upper School.
Please also note that we have provided the names of all Upper School faculty on our website for ease of communication: https://brent.edu.ph/academics/upper-school/faculty/ For the most part Faculty emails are their first initial and last name followed by @brent.edu.ph.
Thank you, in advance for your support of the people and programs in our Upper School. Our doors are open and we welcome your presence. Working together, respecting one another, we will have an outstanding year. We wish you all the best, this school year!