The mission of the Middle School Guidance Counselor is to support the learning of middle school students and to ensure that student needs are met in academic and social-emotional areas. The counselor’s goal is to facilitate the growth and well being of each student and to provide interventions of conflict and problem resolution. The Guidance Counselor provides prevention instruction to the entire student body to promote a safe and respectful learning environment.
The Guidance Counselor communicates with the Middle School students on a regular basis through the Advisory course, designed to promote skills and attitudes that increase student success in early adolescent years. The current guidance program, combined with the new counseling curriculum, Second Step, integrates into the instructional program. The program focuses on the offering of services and activities in order to maximize student emotional, behavioral and learning processes.
The counseling program includes four domains of services throughout the entire school year: Guidance Curriculum, Responsive Services, System Support and Individual Student Planning.
- Providing or assisting with individual, small group or classroom guidance homeroom lessons
- Interventions that aim to enhance student organizational skills, healthy study habits, and time management
- Goal-setting and solution-based decision-making
- Career awareness, exploration, and planning
- Monthly educational assemblies on various topics: peer relationships, healthy boundaries, friendship, bullying and cyber-bullying, effective social skills, stress, mindfulness, anger management, increasing self-esteem, effects of gaming, and transition to upper school
- Education on communication, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Promoting substance abuse awareness
- Sensitivity to multicultural diversity and enhancing positive identity development
- Advocating for a safe school environment
- Individual and/or small-group counseling
- Individual/family/school crisis intervention
- Conflict mediation
- Referrals to Student Services Coordinator or other external services.
- Consultation and collaboration with teachers, parents, administrators, and community mental health professionals
- Informational Parents’ Workshop – Coffee Talk
Individual Student Planning:
- Guidance with academic support and tutorial information
- Goal setting and decision-making
Middle School Student Council
The Middle School Student Council is an organization driven by student leaders and supervised by adult advisors.
The purpose of the MS Student Council is to provide leadership and service to the student body, the school, and the community. The MS Student Council is the student’s voice in our school. They help to share student ideas, interests and concerns with teachers, the counselor and the school principal. They often raise funds for school-wide activities, including social events, community projects and helping people in need.
R.O.A.R.S Welcome Program
The R.O.A.R.S Program has been designed to assist students integrate well into the Brent student body. The R.O.A.R.S Program gives incoming students a chance to meet a new friend, a friend that welcomes and cares for them. Moving to a different school can feel very scary; we work hard to make this an easy transition for your child.
Students, I look forward to supporting you and helping you become a well-rounded individual. Parents and the Brent community, I am here to help you and your child during these formative years, please contact me if I can help in any way. Salamat po!