The Lower School library can be found at S-203 in the main building, serving grades 3-5, and has a wide variety of books, DVDs, novel sets, curriculum resources, and parenting books. The library is open 7:30 AM -4:30 PM on school days. Homeroom classes meet once a week for library skills and for students to check out books. The library is reserved for students at that time. Parents are welcome and can check out 10 books at a time for 2 weeks.
Common Practices in the Lower School Library:
We frequently talk about:
- Respect yourself and others.
- Respect the library and its materials.
- Respect Brent.
Main Goals of The Lower School Library:
- Teach students a lifelong love of reading.
- Teach students to access information efficiently and effectively.
- Teach students how to evaluate information critically and competently.
- Teach students how to use information accurately, creatively, and ethically.
- Teach students to appreciate literature and other creative expressions of information.
Lower School Library Reminders:
- Students must use their valid Brent Identity Card to check out library materials.
- All items in the regular circulation can be checked out for one 1 week.
- Any library item needed beyond its due date may be brought to the circulation desk for one 1 renewal.
- In addition to checking out books of their choice, students will sometimes be guided in a book chosen by the Librarian and/or classroom teacher. This could occur in instances where a book particularly matches an area of learning covered in class, or if exposure to a reading level or genre is encouraged.
- Homeroom classes are reminded of unreturned books each week during library class. Aside from that, an overdue notice e-mail is automatically being sent out to students and parents every Monday as a reminder. Please help your child be responsible for returning books on time.
- Students and parents are charged PHP 2.00 per day/book after 5 days that the books are overdue.
- Any lost and damaged items must be paid with a replacement cost or can be replaced with the exact same title or material.