March 9, 2020
Dear Brent Family,
The new Coronavirus cases in the Philippines may be creating some anxiety in our community. Here is a devotional that was shared by one of our faculty members. It is a brief reminder that God is still in control. I invite you to remember your faith and to pray for the peace and safety of the Brent Family as a whole.
In addition to prayers, here is an update on our response to the newest cases of Coronavirus. We will continue to follow and take into account various agency recommendations. The situation may change quickly, and we will continue to provide information via corporate texts and emails.
Brent International School Manila is implementing and recommending the following precautions:
- All activities with other schools will be suspended effective immediately. After school clubs and activities involving only Brent Manila students and families will continue for the time being.
- The weekly disinfecting already in place will be increased to twice weekly, on Wednesdays and Sundays. This includes handrails, door handles, light switches, etc.
- The number of hand sanitizing stations will be increased.
- Daily temperature checks continue. Students, families, and employees should remain home if they have even mild symptoms of illness out of consideration to the rest of the community.
- The self-quarantine expectations outlined in our March 1 update below remain in full force.
- We urge anyone with travel plans outside the country during Easter Break to reconsider. It is possible anyone returning from abroad could be required to self-quarantine by that point. It is also possible to be stranded outside the country making access to resources and online classes difficult. This happened during Chinese New Year to some faculty and students from schools in China, and I know of some still stranded in Manila.
- Prepare a plan for your children to have supervision and internet access in case we need to go to online instruction. We have been preparing for this possibility for some time. In fact, a group of Biology students were engaged in online instruction this morning.
Thank you for your patience, kindness, and self-discipline as we continue to navigate this situation. God bless.
March 1, 2020
Dear Brent Family,
The Centers for Disease Control issued new travel advisories for Italy and Iran, raising them to Level 3: Avoid Nonessential Travel. Based in part on these new advisories as well as considering the upcoming Easter Break, Brent is updating our guidelines for community members’ self-isolation upon returning from travel.
As we approach Easter Break, all Brent community members should reconsider travel to any country with a CDC level 3 (“Avoid Nonessential Travel”) or State Department level 3 (“Reconsider Travel”) or 4 (“Do Not Travel”) advisory due to COVID-19. The list of affected countries and the warning level changes daily. Please monitor developments through the State Department and CDC websites. Brent is also adding Japan to this list based on the country’s own decision to close down all schools.
All Brent community members returning to the Philippines from China (including special administrative regions), South Korea, Japan, Italy, or Iran must notify the school level principal and self-isolate for 14 days off campus.
Any individuals who may have been in close contact with someone who has been infected by COVID-19, or who exhibits symptoms consistent with COVID-19 infection, should also self-isolate. The self-isolation guidelines may change quickly, so please stay informed. For additional information on how to gauge your risk of COVID-19 infection, see the CDC website.