Vol. XXI • Issue 11 • October 19, 2018
- COLLEGE VISIT
- NEWS FROM THE ACTIVITIES OFFICE
- IB CALENDAR OF DEADLINES
- NEW!! PSAT THIS WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 24
- NEW!! GRADE 11 PARENT ORIENTATION FOR THE IB DIPLOMA CORE ON NOVEMBER 9th
- NEW!! FINAL EXAMS START ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 11
- ALL SAINTS BREAK, OCTOBER 29TH – NOVEMBER 2ND
- NEW!! NEW UPPER SCHOOL STUDENTS FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
- COUNSELOR COFFEE TALK – BODY POSITIVITY
- IB WORKSHOP FOR GRADE 10 PARENTS
- A NOTE FROM THE TRANSPORTATION OFFICE
- SAT TEST DATES
- CLOSING OF SCHOOL – CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
Throughout the year various universities that give presentations about their school and the university admissions process in general visit us. Juniors and Seniors as well as their parents may be interested in attending the following presentations.
NEWS FROM THE ACTIVITIES OFFICE
IB CALENDAR OF DEADLINES
All deadlines for the various IB projects, orals, research papers, EE, etc. are noted below. Parents please help our students stay organized with their IB assignments and due dates throughout the upcoming year.
NEW!! PSAT THIS WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 24
The PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Tests) will be held on Wednesday, October 24th from 9:30am to 12:35 pm. Students will miss their first three blocks of the day and report directly to lunch at 12:40 pm. Good luck, students!
NEW!! GRADE 11 PARENT ORIENTATION FOR THE IB DIPLOMA CORE ON NOVEMBER 9th
Dear Parents of Year 1 IB Diploma Candidates,
Thank you for your support of our IB Candidates on the near successful completion of their first semester in the IB here at Brent. Now that the course components of the IB program are well underway, we are going to begin introducing the CORE elements which are also required for successful completion of the IB Diploma. These elements include: Theory of Knowledge (TOK); Creativity, Action & Service (CAS); and the Extended Essay (EE).
We would like to invite you to our IB CORE orientation to help you get a better understanding of each. By providing you with this information, our hope is that we can work together to support your son or daughter throughout the diploma program.
The orientation will be held on Friday, November 9, at 2:10 in U101. The scheduled itinerary is as follows:
2:10-2:15 ———— Welcome Remarks from Ms. Sonia Bustamante, Upper School Principal
2:15-2:20 ———— Overview of the Orientation by Ms. Kristi Pozon, IB Coordinator
2:20-2:35 ———— CAS Updates by Mr. Stapley and Mr. Burke, CAS Coordinators
2:35-2:50 ———— TOK Overview
2:50-3:15 ———— EE Overview by Mr. Scott Carpenter, EE Coordinator
3:15-3:35 ———— Q&A Session
Though this session is for parents we most certainly welcome your student to join you. At the conclusion of the session, some light snacks and refreshments will be provided. We look forward to you joining us on November 9th for this productive and informative session.
NEW!! FINAL EXAMS START ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 11
That’s fifteen Day “1” and fifteen Day “2” classes. The upcoming fall break is an excellent time to make sure all schoolwork and assignments are all caught up. When we return there are six weeks remaining in the semester. May we all return ready to finish this semester well.
ALL SAINTS BREAK, OCTOBER 29TH – NOVEMBER 2ND
The All Saints Day break begins on Monday, October 29 and runs through Friday, November 2. The break can be a time for everyone to recharge batteries and get ready for the push to the finish of this first semester. When we return on Monday, November 5th it will be a Day “1”.
NEW UPPER SCHOOL STUDENTS FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
If friends or family members are not yet part of the Brent Family, let them know that applicants can be considered now for Upper School for the 2019-2020 school year. (Middle, Lower, and ELC applicants will be considered as of January.)
Application documents can be printed from Brent’s website, or picked up directly from the Admissions Office. Please see the Application Checklist for complete information about the admissions process.
It is recommended to start the process as soon as possible. Slots in some grade levels will be competitive, and waiting could result in no available spaces for August.
COUNSELOR COFFEE TALKS
IB WORKSHOP FOR GRADE 10 PARENTS
Your child in grade 10 received an invitation for the preliminary orientation session about the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP). We would like to provide you with as much information as we can share about the program that your child will undertake in grades 11 and 12. This invitation is also open to parents of our Middle School and Grade 9 students.
Your presence and support is strongly encouraged at one of the Grade 10 IB Preliminary Orientation Sessions. To register for one of the dates below click here.
- Wednesday, October 10 @ 9:00am
- Wednesday, November 7 @ 2:35pm
A NOTE FROM THE TRANSPORTATION OFFICE
- To all students who would like to ride school bus for after school activities such as school plays, games, training and seminars/workshop please make sure that your name is listed in the Bus Schedule Sign-up sheet ahead of time in order for the Transportation Office to have proper head count and to organize bus runs schedule.
- To all Parents/Guardians of all bus riders for the after school activities bus runs, please be informed that you must be at the drop-off point (Parque Epaña, Holy Trinity Church and Tiendesitas) at the time of the bus arrival to avoid delays for the next drop off point and to avoid inconvenience to the other bus riders.
SAT TEST DATES
- Brent students must register through College Board’s website. Offices at Brent do not assist students with registering for SAT dates.
- Slots for testing at Brent are usually full WEEKS before the published Deadline to Register below. Register earlier than you think you need to.
- SAT at Brent is open to our enrolled students, but also to students from other schools. There are enough slots for Brent students if you register early.
- If slots are already full at Brent for a specific SAT date, on College Board’s website look for other schools offering SAT and then register at one that has available slots. If all other schools are also full, register for the next available SAT date at Brent. Let your Guidance Counselor know if these suggestions do not work for you.
CLOSING OF SCHOOL – CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
Brent International School Manila adheres to the Storm Signal Guidelines established by PAGASA – (the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration). Accordingly, when storm signals are posted over Biñan, Laguna, classes will be affected as follows:
- Storm Signal #1 Normal Operation: All Brent classes will proceed as scheduled.
- Storm Signal #2 No Classes or Activities:No students or teachers are to report, however the school offices will remain open for the day. Administrators and office support staff report as usual if it is safe to do so.
- Storm Signal #3 and #4 No School: The entire school operation will be closed. No classes, offices or activities will take place.
Please be aware that the storm signal for Laguna is not the same as that of Metro Manila. Weather reports regarding Manila, therefore, may not apply to the conditions at Brent.
Every attempt will be made to contact parents, students and teachers in the event of a cancellation of classes. When available and applicable, we use corporate texts to inform those whose cell phone numbers are registered in our system. If you have not heard from the school, you can assume that classes will happen as scheduled.
If you are still unsure, calling the school at +63-2-697-9043 or +63-49-511-4330 to 33 after 6:00 a.m. or checking to see if there is a notice on our website (www.brent.edu.ph) may help.
Finally, we realize that parents have the ultimate responsibility for determining whether or not their children go to school. Even if no order for the suspension of classes has been issued, if parents feel that traveling to or from school will place their children at risk, we certainly understand and will honor their decision.