Vol. XIX • Issue 34 • April 21, 2017
- Message From The Principal
- News and Notes
- 2017-2018 Stickers/IDs Posters
- Calendar of Activities
Message From The Principal
Dear ELC & Lower School Parents,
The 10th Annual Festival of the Arts Week kicked off with a bang this past Wednesday morning with a ribbon cutting of the art exhibit and performances from selected MS/US students. The exhibit at the VPA hallway features work from our Nursery to Grade 5 students, while more art pieces created by our ELC students are on display at the ELC building. Do take the time to drop by and see the wonderful works your children have created this year.
By Wednesday afternoon, our fifth grade Strings Class opened the Orchestra Recital with such memorable pieces. On Thursday morning, our whole fourth grade class and fifth grade Music Class inspired us even more during the Recorder Recital. Finally that afternoon, our fifth grade Band Class showed off their talents during the Band Concert. Thank you to all of you who have graced us with your presence on those three major events.
There’s more to come as the Festival of the Arts Week continues to next week. I encourage you to save the date and see the final two performances, showcasing some of our students from ELC and LS:
|Event||Date and Time||Venue||Participated By|
|Solo & Ensemble Recital||April 24 at 3PM||Theater||Selected LS Students|
|Dance Recital||April 25 at 4PM||Theater||Selected ELC & LS Students|
As we finish up the month of April next week, so shall our after-school clubs program come to an end. The End of Clubs is often marked with club parties. If you are sending a snack for your child to share with his or her club mates, please make sure they are generally nut free or at least properly labeled.
Tuesday, April 25, marks the beginning of LS Track & Field Practices. Our track and field competition is open to Grades 3 to 5 students and will be held in school on May 6 (Saturday). Coach Manas, together with our track coaches, Coach Elma and Coach Jojo, will be working with the children Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for the next two weeks, from 2:40-3:40 p.m., to get the children ready for competition day. We usually have 2-3 other schools coming to compete in this major Lower School event.
Application forms for car stickers and IDs for S.Y. 2017-2018 are now available at the Headmaster’s Office. This is to help ease the long queues we normally have during Open House. Please see the tab below for further information on the actual process. Kindly note that the release of car stickers and IDs will be on Open House Day next year, August 4.
Some adjustments were made to our April and May Calendars of Activities. Do refer to the given calendars of events as often as possible, as schedules may change without prior notice.
Finally, the weather is definitely getting hotter and hotter as we experience the summer months here in the Philippines. Please make sure that you are keeping yourself and more importantly, your children, hydrated. Drink lots of water and try to stay indoors as much as possible. Do stay healthy and safe.
News and Notes
• After-School Supervision – Please remember that we do not provide after-school supervision. All ELC/Lower School students are expected to leave at 3:00 pm unless participating in an after-school activity or remedial. Children in either of these activities are to be picked up or leave on the 3:50 pm bus. This is an important safety measure. Thank you for your cooperation.
• Office Telephone Use – The office telephone may only be used for an emergency. Students may not use the telephone to request materials, p.e. clothes, etc., left at home; ask permission to go home with a friend, change their usual dismissal pattern, or requesting to stay in school. We do not provide after-school supervision. All ELC and Lower School students are expected to leave at 3:00 pm unless participating in an after-school activity or remedial. Students in either of these activities are to be picked up or leave on the 3:50 pm bus.
• Cellular Phones, Electronics, and Other Valuables – Parents and guardians are requested to help make sure that students do not bring valuables to school such as cellular phones, electronic devices, large amount of cash, and expensive jewelry. When the children are swimming or involved in sports, remember that all jewelry and watches are removed for safety purposes. Students are not allowed to wear valuables on sporting/P.E. days. These items are very difficult to find once they have gone missing and there is no need for them in the ELC and Lower School.
• Lost and Found – All lost items left unattended, will be turned in initially to the ELC/Lower School Office before being transferred to the main Lost and Found area in the Security Office. Students are asked to report missing items to the ELC/Lower School Office and complete a short report so that we might manage all lost or missing items. At the end of each semester (Christmas Break and End of School Year), unclaimed items will be donated to charity. Please make sure to follow-up if your child loses something in school.
• Books, Bags, and Belongings – All unattended bags will be collected by our Security Personnel and taken to the Security Office. Students will personally have to show their Brent School I.D. to retrieve their bag. It is highly recommended, therefore, that student names be placed on all bags for easy identification.
All students in Grades 6 to 10 have two private lockers in which to leave their belongings – their book locker and their P.E. locker. Students in Grades 11 and 12 may get a second locker – in the Gym 1 or P.E. locker rooms, or in the S210 hallway – to store any additional athletic gear or other items. Lower School students going to swimming or another athletic activity after school may check their bags with the Security Guard in the P.E. Offices hallway.
All bags left unattended between classes and after school in places like the atrium, the cafeteria, the Activities Office, the Media Center, inside or outside of the gyms, the tables by the swimming pool, and in the P.E. Offices hallway will be collected and taken to the Security Office.
• Attendance is checked at the beginning of each day. If you know that your child will not be in school, please call the ELC (Verna) at (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 779-5140 to 46 ext. 711 or Lower School (Abby) at ext. 111 by 9:00 A.M. We view absences as “explained” or “unexplained,” so please send in a note/excuse letter ahead of time for planned student absences, going out of town, etc., for consideration/approval.
Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. Mondays to Fridays except Thursdays at 8:50 a.m. are considered tardy and should not be permitted in to class without a pass from the ELC/Lower School Office. Exceptions are made for late buses and heavy traffic days (accidents/out of the ordinary) on the south super highway, etc.
Please note that five or more tardiness per semester will eliminate a student for consideration of the Annual Perfect Attendance Award.
• Student Pass – If your children are leaving early, before the end of the school day, a parent/guardian must come by the school office to sign them out and secure a student pass. Also any changes to your child’s dismissal pattern (going home with a friend, car instead of bus, etc.) must be submitted in writing (with parent signature) at least one day prior to the change. The homeroom teacher and bus coordinator (if they ride) need to be informed. This is for children’s safety and security. We appreciate your assistance in knowing their whereabouts during dismissal and mode of transport home.
• Security – Brent International School requires all parents/visitors to sign in and get a visitor’s ID card. Permanent ID cards are available for all parents through the Security Office in the Administration building. When displaying a permanent ID card, parents are no longer required to get a visitor ID card each visit.
• Transportation – For Bus Services/Concerns you can contact the Transportation Office at (049) 511-4354 or Trunk Line (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 779-5140 to 46 ext. 518. Any Transportation concerns after 4:30 pm, please call the following: Zusie 0918-912-4230 or Meng 0918-913-2756.
2017-2018 Stickers/IDs Posters