Vol. XX • Issue 27 • February 23, 2018
- Message From The Principal
- News from the PTA
- Update to Student POS Account
- Announcement from Admissions
- Love and Logic Workshop
- Calendar of Activities
- News and Notes
Message From The Principal
Dear ELC & Lower School Parents,
Camp has been the main event for our Grade 4 and 5 students this past two days and our campers are due to be back after lunch today. I am sure the children will have many stories to share and memories to cherish for a lifetime. To all parents who will be collecting their children soon as they arrive in school, please make sure to let your child’s Homeroom Teacher know when you do so.
Starting next week, we only have two more weeks to go before the end of the Third Quarter. Report Cards (Nursery to Grade 3) and Progress Reports (Grades 4-5) will be sent home on March 9 (Friday) in time for our Parent-Teacher Conference Day on March 12 (Monday). In line with this, please note that:
Online Sign-Ups for Parent-Teacher Conferences
will start on Monday, February 26.
We will send you the link for the sign-ups via email then.
Tickets for the International Food Festival are now available at the Cashier. There is an early bird discount of P100 if you purchase your tickets before March 17 (Saturday), the day of the event. For ticket prices, please see the poster below.
Finally, it will be March by Thursday next week. I am pleased to share the initial draft of our March Calendar of Activities below. Other than the PTC Day and the Food Fest, please save the dates for our House Kickball event and the Author Visit. For grade level specific events, you may inquire from your child’s Homeroom Teacher.
News from the PTA
Our International Food Fest is going to be soon: March 17!
Thanks to the parents who already volunteered to have food from their countries included in our giant food buffet!
We already have table heads for:
• USA • Switzerland • China
• Philippines • Italy • Brazil
• France • Thailand • Netherlands
• Korea • Indonesia • Turkey
• Japan • India
Didn’t see your country on the list?
Hurry! Email us & let folks enjoy some delicious food from your home country: email@example.com.
All country tables get a food budget from the PTA. Hear from you soon
Update to Student POS Account
Please be reminded that students who are non-regular school bus riders will be charged a fee on their POS account whenever they ride the bus.
Announcement from Admissions
New Students for 2018-2019
If a child of yours is not currently attending Brent but you are considering enrollment for the 2018-2019 school year, please submit an application to the Admissions Office. Applications are now being collected for all grade levels.
Some grade levels for August already have a Wait Pool in place. Completing the admissions process as soon as possible is ideal.
Application documents can be printed from Brent’s website, or a booklet can be picked up from the Admissions Office. As soon as the needed documents are submitted, the entrance exams and interviews can be scheduled.
If you have any questions please contact the friendly, helpful people in the Admissions Office.
Love and Logic Workshop
Calendar of Activities
News and Notes
• Books, Bags, and Belongings – All unattended bags will be collected by our Security Personnel and taken to the Security Office. Students will personally have to show their Brent School I.D. to retrieve their bag. It is highly recommended, therefore, that student names be placed on all bags for easy identification.
All students in Grades 6 to 10 have two private lockers in which to leave their belongings – their book locker and their P.E. locker. Students in Grades 11 and 12 may get a second locker – in the Gym 1 or P.E. locker rooms, or in the S210 hallway – to store any additional athletic gear or other items. Lower School students going to swimming or another athletic activity after school may check their bags with the Security Guard in the P.E. Offices hallway.
All bags left unattended between classes and after school in places like the atrium, the cafeteria, the Activities Office, the Media Center, inside or outside of the gyms, the tables by the swimming pool, and in the P.E. Offices hallway will be collected and taken to the Security Office.
• Attendance is checked at the beginning of each day. If you know that your child will not be in school, please call the ELC (Verna) at (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 779-5140 to 46 ext. 711 or Lower School (Abby) at ext. 111 by 9:00 A.M. We view absences as “explained” or “unexplained,” so please send in a note/excuse letter ahead of time for planned student absences, going out of town, etc., for consideration/approval.
Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. Mondays to Fridays except Thursdays at 8:40 a.m. are considered tardy and should not be permitted in to class without a pass from the ELC/Lower School Office. Exceptions are made for late buses and heavy traffic days (accidents/out of the ordinary) on the south super highway, etc.
Please note that five or more tardiness per semester will eliminate a student for consideration of the Annual Perfect Attendance Award.
• Student Pass – If your children are leaving early, before the end of the school day, a parent/guardian must come by the school office to sign them out and secure a student pass. Also any changes to your child’s dismissal pattern (going home with a friend, car instead of bus, etc.) must be submitted in writing (with parent signature) at least one day prior to the change. The homeroom teacher and bus coordinator (if they ride) need to be informed. This is for children’s safety and security. We appreciate your assistance in knowing their whereabouts during dismissal and mode of transport home.
• Brent International School requires all parents/visitors to sign in and get a visitor’s ID card. Permanent ID cards are available for all parents through the Security Office in the Administration building. When displaying a permanent ID card, parents are no longer required to get a visitor ID card each visit.
• For Bus Services/Concerns you can contact the Transportation Office at (049) 511-4354 or Trunk Line (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 779-5140 to 46 ext. 518. Any Transportation concerns after 4:30 pm, please call the following: Zusie 0918-912-4230 or Meng 0918-913-2756.
• Cellular Phones, Electronics, and Other Valuables. Parents and guardians are requested to help make sure that students do not bring valuables to school such as cellular phones, electronic devices, large amount of cash, and expensive jewelry. When the children are swimming or involved in sports, remember that all jewelry and watches are removed for safety purposes. Students are not allowed to wear valuables on sporting/P.E. days. These items are very difficult to find once they have gone missing and there is no need for them in the ELC and Lower School.
• Temporary Change in Contact Information. For general information as well as security, medical and legal reasons, we ask for your support in completing our Temporary Contact Information form if travels require you temporarily leave a student in the care of another individual. Copies of the form are currently available in each of the school offices and can be downloaded from our website. We ask that you please submit the completed form to your child’s school office before your travels take place.
• Birthday parties of any type are not allowed in classrooms/cafeteria. Birthday parties of any type are not allowed in classrooms nor in the Cafeteria. Parties that are acceptable throughout the year and in general include Christmas and end of the school year parties only.
If a student wishes to distribute invitations for a private party they must be given to all students in the class or to none at all. If they wish to only invite select students/part of the class the invitations must be distributed in another manner or mailed to the invitees. Addresses and phone numbers of students in a particular homeroom class may be obtained by the student recording them from classmates during recess time. Due to personal privacy the school is unable to release this information.