Vol. XXI • August 17, 2018 •
- Message From The Principal
- 1PM Early Dismissal on September 10
- Calendar of Activities
- News & Notes
Message From The Principal
Dear ELC & Lower School Parents,
It is so good to be able to have four days of school in this week as the heavy rains and flooding in a number of areas in the metro area would have continued on for days. The weather during this season is always difficult to predict. We may call off school and the weather will be fine or we may have school and there will be heavy rains and flooding. Please know that it is always your discretion as parents to send or not send your child to school due to bad weather or flooding. Their absence on school days, nonetheless, will be counted against their attendance record.
Next week will not be a full week as well due to the back-to-back national holidays we have. There will be NO SCHOOL on Tuesday, August 21 (Ninoy Aquino Day) and Wednesday, August 22 (Eid’l Adha). We will have school on Monday, and then on Thursday and Friday only.
We scheduled to have our semi-annual Head Lice Check next week for both ELC and LS on August 23 and 24 (Thursday and Friday). Information on this was sent to you via email this week. As a precaution, it would be good to do your initial screening at home and apply the proper treatment as needed.
Come August 28 and 29, we will be having our LS and ELC Parent Orientations. This is the time where you have the opportunity to know more about what your child will be learning this year, as well as their growth and behavior expectations. There will also be separate orientations for parents of ESL students. Please see the schedule of orientations for these two days below:
LS Parent Orientations
August 28, Tuesday
|ESL G3 & G4 |
|1:40 p.m.||S -103
Mrs. Elman-Caballero’s Room
|ESL G5 Parent Orientation||1:40 p.m.||S-102
Mrs. Whalley’s Room
|LS (3-5) Parent Orientation||2:15 p.m.||LS Library,
ELC Parent Orientations
August 29, Wednesday
|N-PK Parent Orientation||11 a.m.||ELC Library, then classrooms|
|ESL G1 & G2 Parent Orientation||1:30 p.m.||ESL Room (2F), Miss Jingco’s Room|
|K-2 Parent Orientation||2:10 p.m.||ELC-MPH, then classrooms|
It is understandable that some of you may have children in multiple grade levels so you will not be able to attend all class orientations for your children. Please reach out in advance to the Homeroom Teacher of your child in whose orientation you will miss to let them know.
Have a restful and safe weekend!
1PM Early Dismissal on September 10
Please note that Brent will have a special schedule for classes and an early dismissal at 1 pm for students from school on Monday September 10.
All students will have a lunch period on the day.
There will be no sports or activities after dismissal.
Buses will leave campus at 1:15 pm. All students, including car riders, are required to leave campus no later than 1:15 pm.
Faculty and staff will use the afternoon to take part in an orientation for Brent’s re-accreditation with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) from the United States.
Calendar of Activities
News and Notes
• Please be sure to complete the Student Data Sheet, Clinic Form, Corporate Text Messaging and review other important documents in the First Day Folder of your child given on the first day of attendance. Thank you!
• Please be sure to send a healthy snack daily for your child’s afternoon recess break. We strongly discourage the drinking of soda in the Lower School. ID Account deposits will not be accepted in the school offices. Please send your deposits to the Main Cafeteria or Cashier.
• Our “Late-Start Thursday” schedule beginson August 9. All students should arrive at school by 8:40 am. We are not able to provide before school care as all faculty are involved in school-wide meetings.
• Brent International School requires all parents/visitors to sign in and get a visitor’s ID card. Permanent ID cards are available for all parents through the Security Office in the Administration building. When displaying a permanent ID card, parents are no longer required to get a visitor ID card each visit.
• For Bus Services/Concerns you can contact the Transportation Office at (049) 511-4354 or Trunk Line (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 779-5140 to 46 ext. 518. Any Transportation concerns after 4:30 pm, please call the following: Zusie 0918-912-4230 or Meng 0918-913-2756.
• Both ELC & Lower School foster and encourage its students to be independent. Therefore, parents, yayas, and drivers may walk students to their classrooms during the first week of school, after which students are expected to walk to their classrooms independently from the front entrance.
• Attendance is checked at the beginning of each day. If you know that your child will not be in school, please call the ELC (Verna) at (049) 511-4330 to 33 or (02) 779-5140 to 46 ext. 711 or Lower School (Abby) at ext. 111 by 9:00 A.M. We view absences as “explained” or “unexplained,” so please send in a note/excuse letter ahead of time for planned student absences, going out of town, etc., for consideration/approval.
Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. Mondays to Fridays except Thursdays at 8:40 a.m. are considered tardy and should not be permitted in to class without a pass from the ELC/Lower School Office. Exceptions are made for late buses and heavy traffic days (accidents/out of the ordinary) on the south super highway, etc.
Please note that five or more tardiness per semester will eliminate a student for consideration of the Annual Perfect Attendance Award.
• If your children are leaving early, before the end of the school day, a parent/guardian must come by the school office to sign them out and secure a student pass. Also any changes to your child’s dismissal pattern (going home with a friend, car instead of bus, etc.) must be submitted in writing (with parent signature) at least one day prior to the change. The homeroom teacher and bus coordinator (if they ride) need to be informed. This is for children’s safety and security. We appreciate your assistance in knowing their whereabouts during dismissal and mode of transport home.
• Cellular Phones, Electronics, and Other Valuables. Parents and guardians are requested to help make sure that students do not bring valuables to school such as cellular phones, electronic devices, large amount of cash, and expensive jewelry. When the children are swimming or involved in sports, remember that all jewelry and watches are removed for safety purposes. Students are not allowed to wear valuables on sporting/P.E. days. These items are very difficult to find once they have gone missing and there is no need for them in the ELC and Lower School.
• Temporary Change in Contact Information. For general information as well as security, medical and legal reasons, we ask for your support in completing our Temporary Contact Information form if travels require you temporarily leave a student in the care of another individual. Copies of the form are currently available in each of the school offices and can be downloaded from our website. We ask that you please submit the completed form to your child’s school office before your travels take place.
• Birthday parties of any type are not allowed in classrooms/cafeteria. Birthday parties of any type are not allowed in classrooms nor in the Cafeteria. Parties that are acceptable throughout the year and in general include Christmas and end of the school year parties only.
If a student wishes to distribute invitations for a private party they must be given to all students in the class or to none at all. If they wish to only invite select students/part of the class the invitations must be distributed in another manner or mailed to the invitees. Addresses and phone numbers of students in a particular homeroom class may be obtained by the student recording them from classmates during recess time. Due to personal privacy the school is unable to release this information.